Minnesota Disc Dog Club Forums

A place to discuss everything disc dog
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Disc damage
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:38 am 
Has a dog and a disc

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have two questions. I have been using Jawz discs with my Boxer, and they hold up well for the most part. He does mar the lip badly. Question one, is there another brand that may hold up better with the edges, and question two, what is the easiest way to sand/ fix the edges?

Post subject: Re: Disc damage
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am 
MNDDC Member

Jawz is pretty much the toughest brand out there that I'm aware of.

I might cut off the marred edges with a knife as makes sense, and then just sand down with sandpaper. Brian B (Rocketdog) is our resident disc-fixing expert, so he's probably the best resource.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm 
In the know

zeke wrote:
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have two questions. I have been using Jawz discs with my Boxer, and they hold up well for the most part. He does mar the lip badly. Question one, is there another brand that may hold up better with the edges, and question two, what is the easiest way to sand/ fix the edges?

Yeah, Jaws are pretty much the toughest discs made, Super Heros from Herodiscusa.com are almost as tough but they fly better than Jaws. To fix the edges you can try 2 methods - I have found that a combination of the 2 works well. First get a hobby knife like an X-acto with a fresh blade or even a box cutter with a fresh blade will do, and trim as much as you can off of the edges. Next use a long fireplace lighter or a small propane torch - heat the damaged area just enough to start the melt, then have a leather glove on one hand and use your thumb to smooth out the damaged area. Repeat all around the disc. On regular fastbacks an X-acto and a bit of sandpaper work just fine, but these durable discs can be very hard to trim with a blade. Put a little flame on it - go slow so you don't wreck the disc - smooth it out while it's still hot.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:55 pm 
Has a dog and a disc

I'll give the flame trick a try. Thanks much!